Mental noodling on issues close to my heart.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I ran across this picture that I was sent by Louie back in March. Honestly, I haven't looked at the group of photos much. I didn't want to think about it. Memory lane ain't what it used to be for me. You may feel the same way at times, I don't know. This picture was taken in an office, in a building that doesn't exist any more. It was demolished in 2008, right along with my dear wife. Sorta fitting when I think about it. I remember the outfit she's wearing. She loved sweaters over collared shirts in college. Her hair was so much longer then. Funny, we both liked each other with longer hair, but neither of us could stand to keep it longer for any amount of time. It makes me laugh to think about it. I see her and remember the power that I felt coming from her. She would never believe me, but I was always stunned to think that she would choose me. She thought I had "settled" for her. I thought she had sold herself short for me. That's a LOL, my friends. It has taken all this time for me to see that we deserved each other; at our best AND and our worst. Perhaps no one would have put up with either of us the way we did in the bad times. I have a hard time imagining that anyone could have loved either of us as much as we did through it all. Here's to you, my Alanna Rose. As you wish.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I remember the room, her sense of style, and the inner strength she had but never believed she had. I miss her too my brother.

We may never truly realize what a gift we have been to others- in the good and the bad.

Know you are a gift to me Jim.