Mental noodling on issues close to my heart.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Fulfillment (or the lack thereof)

I don't think the world needs everyone to be ambitious and "successful" the way Western society often defines the word. I think we all need to be working at being fulfilled in our jobs, our families, and our social lives. It might be easy to assume that I would expect that fulfillment only comes with a religious component. I suppose that may be true, but the faith or religious facet of life can be far different than United Methodist Christianity, the faith in which I have grown up. We need to know that there is something beyond ourselves. An atheist may identify that as culture or community or something else. A Christian, Jew or Muslim will most likely identify it as God and the community of their faith. Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, and the many other people with expressions of faith will know what it is for them.

As for me, I am fulfilled when I feel I am following a path towards God. That includes my work and/or chosen vocation, my family life and the time I spend with friends and acquaintances. Interesting that tonight a very similar subject came up as I talked with a couple of students I am mentoring. The students (unprovoked by me) described their walk with God as being in all the things they do in life, including school and sports. That is real faith, when it applies to everything we do, not just the convenient things. That is fulfilling, too. When everything works together. At least it is for me.

No comments: