Mental noodling on issues close to my heart.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On St. Alanna's Day

It's been a year since we re-named March 17th for St. Alanna. Step aside Patrick, there's a new kid in town. In the last year so many things have happened; good and bad; ups and downs; joys and heartaches; friendships renewed and faltered. And yet in our humanness God is present, working in it all to sow love and reap the kingdom of God.

Alanna came to understand the kingdom of God. She finished her life on earth prepared for the one to come. This was not simply a profession of faith in Christ. It was a life lived in the transformational power of God's boundless love. St. Paul talked about the image of God as an image dimly seen in the mirrors of our souls. I believe that Alanna's mirror became brighter and more powerful toward the end; sharing that Love that fueled her fire - especially in her last week with us.

My prayer is that we will continue to be challenged by her example; continue to be fueled by God's love for us in order that the world may see and know that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is alive and well and living in the hearts of those who accept the gift of love freely offered to us all.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So true James. I am feeling reminiscent as we celebrate this day. I too believe that Alanna was close to God and knew him. I often felt sad that she did not see what a wonderful impact she had on others in her life. I know she had a wonderful impact on my life.

So, I raise a glass in toast to my sister! Hopefully she is living it up, up there.

Anonymous said...

Jim - we are thinking of you today and always

Kathy Bentley