Mental noodling on issues close to my heart.

Saturday, April 07, 2012

"The Ides of March"

I watched the movie "The Ides of March" last night. It made me sad to think that the political process could be half as cutthroat as that portrayal. In my mind, it is the story of how a true-believing soul in the political realm stumbles very easily into corrupt behavior and finds himself merely one among many who have done so.

By watching such a movie on Good Friday I could not avoid thinking about how that connects to the faults of every human being and the need to make the relationship with God. O how far we fall when we rely solely on ourselves for guidance! O how we delude ourselves into thinking that God is with us even though we have never asked for the Spirit's leading!

It was a cautionary tale that extends far beyond the political realm with its point. We must all be wary of the corruption that would eat away at our lives as we seek to master our own petty goals.

No comments: